Poll: Where to have the 2013 SafeTech Convention

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Okay then, Vegas!

I almost forgot about Anaheim. It is 25 miles removed from L.A. and is the home to Disneyland. From what I understand, it is a very convention friendly place. When you said it was too expensive what do you mean? Hotels, union labor, convention center fees? I understand SAVTA chose the place in S.D. last year because it was non-union and didn't have to have a union member cart every little box onto the convention floor for exhbits. I think Vegas and Reno are both heavy union towns aren't they?

I don't remember for sure but I think Vegas and Reno are both heavy union. Our vendors don't like it when it is because they have to pay so much to get their stuff to the booths. We are trying to get as much non-union as we can because of that. The reason we went back to SanDiego was because of the attrition fees owed for not filling the hotel rooms.
    An education is something that only God can take away from you.

Banned

Yeech.... Helping the vendors helps SAVTA.

I voted Denver because it's different and non-union.

Default Not much of a selection

Smaller cities would be preferable. Naturally, I'd like to see SAFETECH stay to the east, but If it is on the west coast, how about Tacoma, Washington or Portland, Oregon? Oh, or how about Sacramento, CA? I have famiiy in that area.

If the listed cities are the ONLY choices, I'd say Phoenix.

I voted Vegas but will go to the moon if you supply the oxygen...

SafeTech . . . Why does it need to be in a different city every year?
    Why not have it at HQ in Dallas, and have it there every time? And why not have it every other year, like MLA? Anticipation would build and more people would commit to going. Plus, though getting together is great, there isn't that much new happening in this industry that we need to gather annually.

It's supposed to be for the professional furtherance and education of members, not a family vacation trip. Or is it?

It's my understanding there's room and storage space for safes at SAVTA HQ, also for classrooms, and guess what? The organizers don't have to negotiate hotel room promises and union wages for the space.

Also, I hear there are one or two hotels in Dallas. Bet a a collection of grownups who are professionals or striving to be such can figure out how to find our own hotel somewhere within taxi, bus or walking distance of Easy Street.

No unions to fight with re: moving safes in and out, or did I say that?

Neither would the association be footing the travel and hotel and food bills for the entire admin staff for a week. Do you think that costs a couple of dollars? Perhaps some savings of that nature might get SAVTA moving toward black ink figures instead of red.

Another benefit would be that after a visit or two, attendees would start learning their way around Dallas hotels and restaurants, and the favored places would probably be happy for repeat business they could count on.

Also, Dalla is an air hub, direct flights if I'm not mistaken. Myrtle Beach sure wasn't.

As I said, a professional gathering (if that's what it's supposed to be) isn't necessarily about bringing the wife and kiddies for out-of-hotel amusement. Maybe take them on a real vacation. What a concept, eh?

Another option would be to have a series of focused education-oriented mini gatherings over the course of each year, also at HQ in Dallas, then maybe one major conflagration-type event there every other or every third year.

I suppose this sounds totally unrealistic. I really don't care which city a SafeTech I go to is in, because it's not about which city it's in or what's outside or around the hotel. If I want to travel for enjoyment, I'll choose where and when.
    Ken Dunckel

One suggestion, when you decide on a location try & look for a date in late April or May. I am willing to bet that I am not the only on who would prefer not to have it in early April. Like everyone else, it's tax time for those of us that run are own business. ;( I have a hard getting my return & paper work back from the accountant, until just before the deadline. I had to skip this years convention, since it was so close to the deadline.

Hi Jeff,
    We were trying to keep it a little further away from the ALOA convention is the reason it's in early April. We also ran a poll on Clearstar as to when everybody wanted to have it and the poll came out to March and April for the highest number of votes. I agree with you about moving it to late April or May but only because of the weather in most places that time of year. It's a little warmer.
    An education is something that only God can take away from you.

Lexington ....