PDA

View Full Version : What New Classes?

Neil Stratton
04-28-10, 12:06 AM
What new classes do you think we need at the convention?
I was thinking about:
How to run a successful business.
Knowing the difference between profit and margins.
Becoming a better seller.

So far on the list from others, we have:
Time Locks
Basic combination locks
Advanced combination locks
Mechanical combination lock troubleshooting
Digitizing your files
Going paperless with invoices
Straight tailpiece manipulation
Marketing - best ways to gets new customers

Joseph Cortie
04-28-10, 12:34 PM
I agree.
Bill Baughman(sp) said he was willing to try to come up with a class if we can't find someone else.

We need to split the Professional Safe Opening class into at least two catagories. Beginners and Advanced. Both with repairs included, if we can.

Other catagories to look at:
Time Locks
Basic combination locks
Advanced combination locks
Mechanical combination lock troubleshooting
add others.

Michael Potter
04-28-10, 03:32 PM
How about a class on digitizing and categorizing a computer database
filling out and uploading tech bulletins(maybe eve seminar)
If we get get some of my/our ideas pushed through we may need a class or seminar on getting the most out of your savta membership
How about a class on going paperless and simplifying business
Setting up your business and Basic accounting
Care of tools (scopes) and basic use and care of tools (maybe a half day to couple with another class)
Maybe some servicing and troubleshooting on Group 1 locks (old class haven't seen for a few years)
Straight tailpiece manipulation (old class haven't seen for several years)

I'm still thinking ....may have more later

Bobby DeWeese
05-07-10, 09:12 AM
"How about a class on digitizing and categorizing a computer database
filling out and uploading tech bulletins(maybe eve seminar)"

Great idea! And I would be willing to help out with that if you need me.

Bobby DeWeese
05-07-10, 09:18 AM
I'd like to see a class on effective marketing ***as it pertains to safework***

Ways to get new customers

The best way and who to approach

There must be a better way to go out and find it, rather than putting up a good website, optimizing it for the search engines, than sitting back and waiting for the phone to ring.

Scott Gray
03-15-11, 09:08 AM
I would prefer to leave the 'business' aspects alone. One can take training on ones business at any old place: for example the principals of business apply to accountants in the same way they apply to us but I don't want to be an accountant!.
I can only learn about safes and vaults from the best techs. in the world for one week at one place--the SAVTA convention. Please make the training and classes specific to the arts of our trade.
I'd love to see classes on timelocks, vaults (installation, penetration and repair), UL and CEN rating standards and testing, safe construction/manufacturing, slick tricks and defeats for e-locks, as well as the standard fair that's usually found.
Thanks for the opportunity to share my hopes...
Scott.

Elaad Israeli
03-15-11, 11:12 AM
Scott,

I don't think anyone was trying to detract anything from the technical classes at the convention. Many of us however are not just the technicians but are also the business owners, sales people, accounts managers, etc. Considering many can only get away for one week a year for 'continuing education', it is helpful to have business/sales classes geared towards managers, owners or anyone involved in the safe and vault businesses.

Running a safe and vault service/sales business is not the same as running a flower shop or auto repair center. The idea of the convention classes (at least the way I see it) is people can learn about what else there is that can be done to improve their bottom line, besides the technical stuff. Remember the whole point of a business is to make money.

My 2 cents,

Elaad

Joseph Cortie
03-15-11, 06:42 PM
Hi Scott,
There are some that think the same way as you but there are also some that requested we have a class or classes on business. We try to accomodate as many as we can. We run a business class about every three years or so. Sometimes they fall flat and sometimes we turn students away. That's the nature of the conventions. We can't please all the people all the time. I wish we could.

Thanks for your comments. They are always welcome.

James Pusey
03-15-11, 09:21 PM
How about some online classes?

Neil Stratton
03-20-11, 04:03 PM
How about some online classes?

Online classes are difficult to teach when we are on hands on industry. Any suggestions?

James Pusey
03-21-11, 08:28 PM
I saw that ALOA offers some online classes in CCTV, fiber optics, biometrics etc...
I understand what you are saying about us being a hands on industry, but I didn't know if maybe some of the classes that are offered at the convention could be offered online as well, like the business classes or the computer based classes. Just an idea.( I didn't say it was a good one).

Scott Gray
03-22-11, 02:47 PM
Hey Joe,
Just so you know I'm happy with the conventions. I've received nothing but benefits from SAVTA and the conventions thus far. I'll see you again this year.
Regards,
scott.

Joseph Cortie
03-22-11, 05:34 PM
Thanks Scott - - - See you here.

Kathleen Cudmore
08-10-11, 08:42 AM
Hey Guys my boss just put out an e-mail for the 2012 training proposals I want to attend the SAVTA convention coming up but need some 2012 SAVTA information costs, flyers, classes so I can submit for approval to come down and join you all. When will the convention information come out and is it on-line now so I can print it out?

Elliott Connor
10-11-11, 10:46 AM
I try and take classes that will give me an introduction to things that I really do not see often or even at all. How about something with European lever locks?

Eric Carlson
10-12-11, 08:45 PM
I would be very interested in a class on properly moving and installing safes. Even if it is only a half day class it would really help.

Eduardo Gorgulho
10-25-11, 03:22 PM
Has a list of classes been finalised yet?

Joseph Cortie
10-25-11, 03:52 PM
Not yet. We're working on it now.

Port Jay
01-26-12, 05:31 AM
Safe moving! I like that idea. Here in the tiny camp of Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti things are a little primitive...gravel instead of paved roads for one. How to go about moving a 1,000 pound safe upstairs to an office has always been an exercise in creativity and not necessarily safe in its execution.